In 2016, we raised a fantastic £34,643 for The Factory Youth Zone, enabling them to convert The Factory Youth Zone’s boxing suite into a ‘Combat Zone’.
This will involve transforming the current space into somewhere young people of all abilities can access the less mainstream combat sports such as karate, taekwondo, judo, mixed martial arts and fencing.
The Factory Youth Zone currently has over 240 sport sessions running each month but this transformation will allow them to attract a new audience with a particular focus on females and those young people with additional needs.
The money will be used for additional equipment, to pay for specialist sports coaches to deliver the sessions and train volunteers to become coaches.
Benefits of this transformation will include:
- Increased female participation by moving away from the male dominated sport of boxing
- Increased access for those people with additional needs e.g. fencing is ideal for those young people in wheelchairs
- Improved access to unique activities not available in North Manchester. Young people are constantly wanting to try something new and move away from mainstream activities that they don’t feel able to engage with
- Improved physical health and mental wellbeing by participating in regular exercise
- Greater discipline and a way of channelling excess energy or frustration in a positive way, improving behaviour at home/school
- Meeting new people and build relationships
- Building the skills of the volunteers who are able to become accredited coaches
- Working with local sports clubs to signpost those young people with a particular talent for the sport
To view pictures from The Manchester Ball 2016, please click here
THANK YOU FOR YOUR FANTASTIC SUPPORT